This entry is probably relevant to exactly zero people who read this thing, but I’m keeping it for my own reference, as the thread on the Daz boards accumulating this information seems to have been eaten.
One of my favorite digital content makers, petipet, produces a vast array of fanciful land, sea, air, and space vehicles, along with a few structures, available at the Daz site. I have been collecting them [starting with Resort Lagoon last year] because of their low price [I got most as Platinum Club freebies], their meticulous sculpture, and their sense of humor. This person also clearly takes inspiration from recent and classic vehicles in movies and history, so identifying sources of inspiration is fun.
In no particular order, here are the influences I have discovered:
- Pickup Dred takes cues from the 1950 Ford pickup.
- Bus Pegasus is clearly inspired by the Greyhound buses of the 1940s and 1950s.
- Aircraft Colo owes a debt to the Bubble Ship from the 2013 film Oblivion.
- Starship Cyclone appears to be a version of the Battlestar Galactica basestar original design.
List will be updated as warranted.
EDIT: Oooh, I found a thread on the Daz boards identifying a few more inspirations!
- Sports Car Morris takes after the classic British convertible moggies.
- Car Roland is apparently related to the Bugatti 16C Galibier.
- Sports Car Emexon takes loose inspiration from the Bugatti Aerolithe.
- Limousine Prince is a Jaguar Mk II if I ever saw one.
- Car Ranger is a slightly fictionalized Land Rover Range Rover.